I have had a blog before this one, actually quite a few, but I was never able to commit myself fully, because I didn’t know what it took to become a blogger. In this post I will be sharing some tips of mine, as well as some essentials that every blogger needs to know.
First things first, before you can become a blogger, you need to get a few supplies.
If you are fully dedicated to becoming a blogger, it is essential to invest in a nice quality camera. Of course, you can always use your smartphone, but if you want to become more serious, a nice digital camera is good to have. I have the canon EOS rebel SL1 with an 18-55mm lens. It is an amazing quality camera, but unfortunately it doesn’t have a flip out screen which is the only downfall. Before purchasing a camera, make sure you do a ton of research because it is a huge purchase!
My next essential as a blogger is a notebook and pens. I personally prefer to handwrite all my thoughts and ideas, and sometimes writing it out on paper is more beneficial. It gets your brain working and your ideas will come flowing out. Use this notebook to plan out blog posts, or jot down ideas for pictures you want to get.
I also recommend if you are a beauty/fashion blogger to have some subscriptions to magazines, or buy a few magazines at a store once a week/month. This will keep you up to date on all the newest trends so you know what to blog about next. I also think it is a good idea to cut out some of your favorite pictures from the magazines to inspire you if you are ever having writers block.
Finally, I suggest finding/making a playlist to listen to while you write your blog post. This can also get you inspired and I do this every time. My Spotify username is xojessciarcz. I change my playlist weekly, and if you want to listen to some of the music I have in it, you can listen here.
Starting A Blog
- Decide what website you are going to make your blog on. The top website builders I’ve seen used are Blogger and WordPress (which is what I use). This is important because of what theme you want to use for your blog, or how much you want to pay for a custom URL.
- Picking a name for your blog is important. I had a name originally (JXCfashion) but I changed it because it was too restricting. My blog is not simply about fashion, so I knew I needed to change it. Your name gives a first impression to your blog, and will either grab your readers or turn them away, so think hard about it.
- Think about your audience and what kind of contents you want to post for them. My blog, specifically, is about beauty, fashion, and lifestyle. Obviously you are allowed to post more than that, but stick to a general audience!
- Don’t be discouraged if you do not get 1,000 views on your blog post overnight. It takes a long time to get a base of readers to frequently check out your posts.
- Stay active. Try to post at least once a week or people will forget about you. It is easy to do this if you create a posting schedule but try to stick to it (this is usually hardest for me because life gets in the way).
- Be yourself. Your readers can tell if you are being yourself or if you are just trying to sound super sweet. Keep it real because people like reading a personality, not a monotonous sounding voice in their head.
- PROOF READ! This is my biggest tip because it makes me cringe when I see someone who uses the wrong “there” in a sentence. Don’t get me wrong, I have had errors, too, but don’t have more than 2-3 mistakes per blog, or people will stop reading it. Maybe have a friend edit it for you!
- My last tip is to stay connected. Share your blog to your friends and family, post about it on your Instagram, Twitter, etc. The more people that read it the better!
- Teen Vogue Hand Book
- Lauren Conrad’s “Style” and “Beauty” book
- Alexa Chung “It”
- Teen Vogue
- blog lovin’
- we heart it
- WordPress app (to check your analytics)
I hope this was helpful and maybe a few people will start a blog now! Thank you for reading, and let me know if you have any questions.